It was here that the first church once stood. Today it is gone. Photos show us its slightly heavy and austere beauty. Nevertheless, it was not without charm.
Built in 1770, the bell was installed in 1733. The bell still exists; it was moved to the new church in 1960-61 to complete its bell tower.
A pendulum was placed in its steeple in 1759.
The chapel was extended in 1833 to be abandoned in 1900, when construction of the new church at the foot of the rocks of Aouille was inaugurated in 1901.
The church acted as local community house. Its steeple, lacking attraction, was removed. This place was eventually considered insufficient as a community centre, until one fine day in 1920, when the current centre was inaugurated. It proved of invaluable service to the population and, of course, to all local groups. Lectures were held here, films shown; it was the place where the bulk of the social activity of this village took place, and it remains such.
School education dates from the end on the 17th century. Classes were given in private homes. The hamlet didn’t purchase a building to transform into a school until 1773. It soon proved insufficient to the task. A new school was built in 1852. It served for more than a century, also housing, on its ground floor, the village bakery – thus killing two birds with one stone!
In the same building, Le Pont now has a primary/secondary school for the most gifted pupils in and near Le Pont, 10 per year. In 1960 these classes were split, then moved under the name of ‘prim-sup’, into the bigger rooms above ten years later.
All classes in Le Pont were closed in 1989 due to necessary restructuring. Pupils of all years then went to the scholastic centre of Chez-le-Maître, at the other end of the Vallée. This was the end of a historic era in the village.
The most famous pupil from Le Pont’s primary school was, without a doubt, Henri Rochat of Mont-du-Lac. This man, who later immigrated to the USA, claimed that, because of parsimoniousness, as well as the upbringing he received from his grandfather, he could only use two pencils during the whole of his schooling, one of which a lead one, which he used only to draw lines and underline!